Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Question for new authors

Sandra Ruttan asked a question of new authors today on the blog, Killer Year-The Class of 2007, killeryear.wordpress.com, "If there was an author moment that you could harness like a ship in a bottle, what would it be? What's the moment you'd like to preserve and be able to relive forever, or a pivotal moment that made a huge difference for you?"

Cornelia Read, author of A Field of Darkness answered, "I don’t know if this counts as the most exciting moment, but I think the moment that I was most nervous about that turned out okay was during my first joint signing with Lee Child.

We were at the Poisoned Pen bookstore in Scottsdale, which I had heard so many great things about that just being there was intimidating, much less to be sitting up on a barstool holding a microphone in one hand and a bottle of water in the other in front of a couple of hundred people who were there to see Lee.

He gave me the kindest introduction I could ever have imagined, and was of course totally witty and charming and articulate, and then it was my turn to say something.

I remember thinking, “okay, I now have to open my mouth, so I just hope it’s not to throw up AND that I don’t make him look totally nuts for having invited me to do this.”

I had no idea what I was going to say, and I don’t actually remember anything I DID say (something about Lawrence Welk and Jell-O salad?), but the people in the room laughed, and after that I knew it was going to be okay.

That was an amazing day. I still don’t quite believe it actually happened.

Of course, the next day at the sublime Murder by the Book in Houston I actually *did* throw up—right before we started the gig there–but luckily it wasn’t in front of anyone. Lee especially."

Jim & I were there for that first appearance by Cornelia at The Poisoned Pen. She sold me. I went home, read the book, and raved about it here.

Cornelia Read
Author of A Field of Darkness

Check out the Killer Year blog for other answers.

6 comments:

Cornelia Read said...

That was a wonderful day at Poisoned Pen, and I'm so happy I got to meet you and Jim there. Thank you for linking to Sandra's post and for all your kind words about FIELD, Lesa.

Lesa said...

Cornelia - Every word for A Field of Darkness was deserved, and I'm waiting for the award nominations in 2007. I think you'll be there, along with other authors I successfully picked ahead of time - Jonathon King, Louise Ure and Chris Grabenstein.

Sandra said...

Yes, thanks for the link Lesa. I always enjoy Cornelia's stories. She's so down to earth. And I loved FIELD. Can't wait for CRAZY SCHOOL.

Lesa said...

Sandra, I'm looking forward to Crazy School, too. And, you're welcome for the link. I read your blog faithfully. And, good luck with your book!

Sandra said...

Thanks Lesa! I'm already hard at work on the next one.

Lesa said...

I should have mentioned, Sandra Ruttan's book, Suspicious Circumstances, is due out in January. I have a copy in my closet, which I'll be reading a little closer to publication date. Look for my comments here in January!