Friday, August 11, 2006

Killing Floor

My husband, Jim, tore through all of Lee Child's books in a couple weeks, and then asked for more books with a character similar to Jack Reacher.

After reading Killing Floor, the debut novel, I told Jim I could just bring him westerns. Killing Floor is just a western written under the guise of a mystery - stranger rides into town, woos woman, cleans up town, leaves woman and rides out of town. I loved the story, and Jack Reacher.

Reacher, a former military policeman, reached a small Georgia town by bus, and, while eating breakfast, was picked up for a murder that occurred before he arrived. Once he convinced two police officers he couldn't have committed the crime, he discovered a personal reason to stick around and find the killers. He gathered a few allies, and set out to investigate.

Jim said the first two books show Child developing as an author, and by the third book, he's come into his own. If I didn't have other commitments, I'd be racing through the series just as he did. Reacher is an intriguing character, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the books.

Lee Child's web site is

www.leechild.com

Killing Floor by Lee Child. Jove Books, c1997. ISBN 0515123447 (paperback) 419p.

2 comments:

Kathrin said...

Thanks Lesa, I tried this book a while ago, but I didn't get past the second chapter. I think I might give it another chance, though, based on your review...

Kathrin

Lesa said...

Kathrin - I was sucked into the character of Jack Reacher. If you end up liking Jack, you'll get sucked into the book.