Monday, May 23, 2005

Plot devices

There is a discussion going on on Dorothy_L, the mystery listserv, about what people dislike as plot devices.

I will not read Femjep novels (Women in jeopardy). I don't like the books, and I don't like the TV shows and movies in which women are prey, constantly in danger.

But, I loved mystery writer Eileen Dreyer's comments about what she dislikes. I liked her phrase "Too stupid to live." Here's her comment,

"My biggest wall-banger, though, is that TSTL(too stupid to live)
heroine, who, against all advice, just knows she has
to put herself in danger without back-up, or, worse, has been
traumatized several times already for not learning that
lesson, and keeps doing it. My feeling is that the bad guy should just
shoot her. She is, TSTL."

2 comments:

Wilton Ormonde said...

are you serious?

Lesa said...

I'm sorry, Wilton. Am I serious about what? Yes, I appreciate Eileen Dreyer's comment. She's the one who made it about heroines who are TSTL. After too many Gothic novels, why does a stupid woman go by herself at night, in her high heels to some place where she should know better?

I am also serious in that I don't like femjep novels. That's my personal preference. I don't watch those those movies, and I don't read the books where a woman is stalked throughout the book. I don't find them intriguing. I find them threatening and uncomfortable to read.