Thursday, April 14, 2005

More Book Lust

I went to the Burton Barr Library in Phoenix today to hear Nancy Pearl speak. Nancy Pearl has retired as a librarian from Seattle Public Library, but never as an advocate for books and reading. She still talks about books on NPR's Morning Edition. She's an inspiration to all of us who love books and sharing books.

More Book Lust is her new book featuring another 1000 books; the sequel to Book Lust. I have to share the first paragraph of her introduction to the new book.

'If we were at a twelve-step meeting together, I would have to stand up and say, "Hi, I'm Nancy P., and I'm a readaholic." As I explained in the introduction to Book Lust, my addiction to reading (and my career as a librarian) grew out of a childhood that was rescued from despair by books, libraries, and librarians. I discovered at a young age that books - paradoxically - allowed me both to find and to escape myself. I was enthralled with the sheer glory of the written word when I read (or had read to me), for example, Robert McCloskey's One Morning in Maine and A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson as a child, and I've never looked back. Recently a friend reminded me of what Francis Spufford says in The Child That Books Built: A Life in Reading: "The books you read as a child brought you signs you hadn't seen yourself, scents you hadn't smelled, sounds you hadn't heard. They introduced you to people you hadn't met, and helped you to sample ways of being that would never have occurred to you." As a child, I lived those words, and continue to do so as an adult reader.'

1 comment:

ricklibrarian said...

Lesa,

Thanks for the note on my blog.

I had missed that Nancy Pearl had come out with More Book Lust. I ordered it today. Thanks for posting.

Rick